Thursday, February 9, 2012

All because two people (with ADHD) fell in love

 Hi blog world, how I've missed you so! It's good to be back. Now, my digits remain a little rusty, so bear with me. I feel like I'm trying to pogo stick home after getting off the spaceship 2000 (you know, that nauseating ride at the fair that spins you around until you hit g-force.) Translation: I'm having trouble moving forward without forgetting where I'm going or heading in twelve different directions on the way to  (maybe) ending up at my intended destination. The good news?! That's the story of my life, This is what goes on in my brain every time I try to accomplish a task. Yes, even if that task is making coffee. Which, by the way,I discovered this morning that  my coffee maker is broken! Although I always intend to make coffee on the way out of the bed it usually takes a few minutes to get to it because there are so many distractions that may catch my eye on the short commute from bed to kitchen. A dish in the sink, the garbage too full, a sock on the floor, you name it. So in my uber groggy state of my mind I fiddle with this or that all the while thinking I really need coffee. Did I start the coffee? I should have started the coffee before I started this load of laundry. Why am I feeding the rabbit before I've had my coffee? Okay, I am really going to make coffee now....How am I walking out the door with no lunch packed and just now grabbing a cup of coffee?? 

 Here are a just a couple of symptoms of adult ADHD that may explain the scenario above:

  •   extreme distractibility; wandering attention makes it hard to stay on track.
  •   struggling to complete tasks, even ones that seem simple.
Even ones that seem simple...Yes, this is my life. The good news (that I mentioned above when referring to being a dizzy pogo stick operator) is that:
1. I'm not the only one  who takes and hour and a half to make a pot of coffee.
2. I know I struggle with making a pot of coffee etc, etc.
3. I sometimes get more done than anticipated or than the average person because my lack of focus that leads me to complete seventeen things on the intended path to complete one. (flip side, being that sometimes I get far less accomplished because of  my "extreme distractiblity and struggling to complete simple tasks." However, we are focusing on positives here!)
5.Creativity, Passion, Energy and Spontaneity are also "symptoms" of ADHD

Now, with that preface, why the Cuckoos Nest? Let me break it down:

NEST; a snug retreat or refuge; resting place; home.
to build or have a nest.
to settle in or as if in a nest.  
to fit together or within another or one another: 

CUCKOO; Slang . a crazy, silly, or foolish person. (scratch the foolish but the other two are pretty accurate)

So,this is a roost for the somewhat chaotic,sometimes cooky,sort of creative, soon to be chronicled tales of two cuckoos "making their nest."

P.S. Did I mention my dear husband has ADHD too??

ENJOY!

EXHIBIT A; trying to take a picture together:


       Are you starting to track with me on the whole cuckoos nest thing?






































1 comment:

  1. Love it, Leah! Can't wait to read more!

    www.homesweetnest.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete