Saturday, March 3, 2012

Little Red Table Re-Do

I painted this little sofa table red last september. My Vision was to paint it a barn red color and antique it. I you-tubed and googled (wow, those terms are probably going to be in the actual dictionary soon. Scary.) how to antique wood furniture. I decided that it was too many steps and a bit too much work for the time I had allowed for this project. So, I took a shortcut. I'm a little hesitant to admit it but I spray painted the table red. I had the intention of sanding it down a ton anyway so I felt okay with my decision. The only problem is I ran out of time and motivation to start the sanding process. So for the last five monthes it has looked like this:
Not terrible, but not what I had in mind. Last night I was really tired but determined to do something a little crafty or creative. I decided to tackle the table. So I stopped at Lowe's on the way home to grab some sand paper for my palm sander only to get home and find that my sander had gotten cleaned out of the garage and taken to Sean's workshop. I didn't feel like waiting for him to go get it, nor did I think he would fancy the idea of me asking him to do so at 7:00 on a friday night.
Once I get in my mind that I'm gonna do something I better go on and do it because by the next day I will have moved on to wanting to crochet a shower curtain or something.
So I sanded it by hand. So much for my spa manicure, huh? I mean I would have had to do alot of the sanding by hand anyway but some of the really hard stuff, like the top, would have been nice to have a little back up strength. My wrists were aching by halfway through.


Here is an upclose of how bright it was before:
                                      
See the difference?
                                      
I wish I could tell you it was finished but I actually didn't even touch the back or side panels or the back two legs. My wrists were literally throbbing. Thank you Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Also I need to work on the drawers a little more and a few other spots. But I'm happy with it. It looks just how I envisioned it! I asked Hubs, What do you think of the table?  Hubs: It looks old and beat up. 
Me: THANK YOU! 
 The instagram version of the mostly  finished product:




3 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS!!! You're so adorable! PS. I found this old wooden shelf at Colonial, and David let me keep it! I'm going to redo it, and blog about it! iT'S SO CUTE =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out so great! I love it!

    Allyson
    http://cupcakescandycanes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete